I grew up in Tucson, AZ and gradually migrated east, until moving to Charlotte in 2009 with my wife, Faith – in 2020 we relocated to Arizona and opened a second office. On the way to Charlotte, I lived in west Texas for a significant period of time where I attended Abilene Christian University (ACU) for my undergraduate and master’s degrees and Texas Tech University for my Doctorate. Faith and I met in our master’s program at ACU and married in 2003. We both accepted faculty positions in the Marriage & Family Therapy (MFT) Program at Pfeiffer University, which prompted our move to Charlotte. I taught in the MFT program for five years, while also building our private practice. I then decided to transition into full-time private practice, in order to devote more professional energy to my clinical work. I currently provide therapy in-person at our Arizona location or virtually to residents of AZ, NC, SC and TX.
I work with individual clients on issues related to anxiety, depression, and addiction by carefully listening to each person’s unique experience and discussing practical strategies that enable clients to reach their goals. When not at the practice, I enjoy spending time with family, chasing around our toddler, and binge watching the occasional Netflix show:-). I also enjoy studying Eastern philosophy and have been on several intensive meditation retreats.
- Ph.D. in Marriage & Family Therapy from Texas Tech University.
- Awarded the Outstanding Student Award during master’s program for his clinical and academic work.
- Past Director of Behavioral Healthcare Services at the Southwest Institute for Addictive Diseases, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
- Published several articles in peer-reviewed journal on the topics of substance abuse, cross-cultural counseling, and the integration of mental health care in primary care settings.
- Past Associate Professor of Marriage & Family Therapy at Pfeiffer University.
- United Methodist Exemplary Teaching Award recipient at Pfeiffer University.
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in North Carolina, Texas, & Arizona.
- Completed several intensive meditation retreats, including those with Jon Kabat-Zinn and Tara Brach.
- American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy – Clinical Member.
- Discernment Counselor.
- Extensive training in EMDR, AEDP, and CBT.